CONTACT US: 01782 422 300 / 01782 422 321 |

Student graduation hats in the air

Council Tax

Council Tax Information

If you are a full time current student living with other full time students, then you will not be liable to pay Council Tax. Full time students living with non-students are also not liable for Council Tax but the house will still attract the tax which the non-student will have to pay. If there is only one adult non-student in the house, the Council Tax bill should be reduced by 25%. This has been the position since 6th April 2004.

The University can provide a Council Tax exemption certificate which are available from the Information Points based at both Cadman building or Brindley Building. Alternatively, you can request this via email on:

It is then up to you to complete the council details on the form and send to the council.

If you are studying on a part-time course, you are not eligible for a council tax certificate (unless you are repeating part-time in a full-time award).


You can complete the Council Tax exemption certificate online by following the link to the Council website below –

The form to complete can be found here:

If you require any further assistance, please call 01782 234234 or use the online enquiry form:

Contact Us

GreenPad - Staffs Uni

Address: Staffordshire University, Students' Union, College Road,The EcoHub (Next to Squeezebox)

County: Stoke-On-Trent, ST4 2DE


Phone: 01782 422 300 / 422 321




Contact form